You are currently browsing the monthly archive for July 2012.
With Gardner out for the remainder of the year is there anyone who is closer to what Gardner is than Ichiro? A fast singles hitter who plays good defense. Isn’t that what the Yankees are missing without Gardner? Gardner was never a power hitter so its not like you are sacrificing Homers. For a couple of prospects the Yankees stole Ichiro. In my mind there is still allot left in the tank for Ichiro. I’m pretty sure its just for the remainder of this season but who knows. For those of you who think Suzuki is washed up and done, put yourself on notice. Of course these are the same people that think Jeter is done too.
At the mid-point of the season not unlike many other years the Yankees have the best record in baseball. It certainly has been an interesting first half as what started out looking like a weakness has turned into the Yankees greatest strength. I’m talking about the rotation of course. Even when CC and Andy went down others like Phelps and Garcia stepped up. Many have made comments about the Yankees inability to hit with runners in scoring position. I say to them does it really matter as long as you win games? The bombers have done that better than any other team. So where do we go from here? Do we look to make a trade before the deadline? Of course we do its the Yankee way. We will overpay for a rental that will help us cross the finish line and win the world series. I say this , If it results in a world series is it really overpaying? Are the Yankees willing to give up a couple of thier best prospects for a couple of months of Cole Hammels or should they look for a longer term solution like Matt Garza . Maybe the Yankees should look to booster their bench or outfield?
I personally like the Idea of Garza but who knows what is going on in the Brain of Cashman. All I know is the second half of the season should be exciting as I think the Yankees have a good shot at 100+ wins with the roster they got.
The Yankees have been on a tear lately and have been building a sizable lead in the AL East. Here are some random thoughts/questions I would like you all to ponder and leave feedback about in the comment section.
1. Is it me or are the Red Sox working thier way back from the cellar and do they have a shot of catching the Yankees?
2. With Pettite out for six to eight weeks do the Yankees need to make a play for another starter. Do they have the stuff to get Cole Hamells? I say only if he agrees to an extention before the trade.
3. Did Joe leave Garcia out there yeasterday and inning to long or what?
4. Will CC really be back after the all star break?
5. Will the return of Joba be huge for the bullpen?
6. Should the Yankees think about working out an extension of some sort for Soriano who will almost certainly opt out of his contract at the end of this season?
7.Is there any chance of Rivera being back in time for the play-offs?
8. Whats going on with Gardner? It seems like forever since he has been torturing pitchers while on base. Do the Yankees need to think about another bat? ala Shane victorino perhaps?